Professeur en Sciences
Economiques/Professor of Economics
LAPE, Université de Limoges, 5 rue Félix Eboué, 87031 Limoges, France
Email : email@example.com
Research topics/ Domaines de recherche
Economie bancaire, micro-économétrie
Laetitia Lepetit is Professor of Economics at the University of Limoges (France) and has authored/co-authored numerous academic articles on financial institutions, bank risk and prudential regulation. She contributed to several European Commission funded research projects, is Associate Editor of the Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions & Money, and has held recurrent visiting positions at the University of Birmingham since 2002. She participated in several European and national research contracts (Programme ASIALINK/B7-301/2005/105-139, European Commission ; Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM), etc). She has supervised 7 PhD students to completion, and has 4 current PhD students. She is also currently the Director of Doctoral Studies at the University of Limoges, and has previously served as its Vice-President in charge of Human Resources. She is an elected member of the Administrative Council of the University of Limoges since 2016, and was previously an elected member of the Scientific Council of the University from 2008 to 2015. She is furthermore co-director of the Master 2 “Banque : Risques et Marchés” since 2004, and was the director of the Master 1 program from 2004 to 2012. She teaches at both undergraduate and Master levels at the University of Limoges, and at the Master level at the University of Birmingham.
Articles in refereed Journals
• "Bank capital regulation : Are local or central regulators better ? ", (with C. Haritchabalet, K. Spinassou and F. Strobel), Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions & Money, forthcoming (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.intfin.2017.02.007).
• "Reducing agency conflicts through bank dividend payout decisions : the role of opacity and ownership structure", (with C. Meslier and L. Wardhana), Applied Economicss, forthcoming (http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00036846.2017.1296556).
• "Bank ownership structure, lending corruption and the regulatory environment", (with T. Barry and F. Strobel), Journal of Comparative Economics, Vol. 44, 732-751, 2016.
• "Excess control rights, bank capital structure adjustments and lending", (with N. Saghi-Zedek), Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 115, 574-591, 2015.
• "Monetary and financial stability in the East African community : ready for a monetary union ?" (with C. Rugemintwari and F. Strobel), The World Economy, Vol. 38, 1179-1204, 2015
• "Bank Insolvency Risk and Z-Score Measures : A Refinement" (with F. Strobel), Finance Research Letters, Vol. 13, 214–224, 2015.
• "Bank income smoothing, ownership concentration and the regulatory environment", (with V. Bouvatier and F. Strobel), Journal of Banking and Finance, Vol. 41, 253–270, 2014.
• "Changes in capital and risk : an empirical study of European banks", (with B. Camara and A. Tarazi), Applied Economics, Vol. 45, 4831-4856, 2013
• "Bank insolvency risk and time-varying Z-score measures" (with F. Strobel), Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions & Money, 25, 73-87, 2013.
• "Effects of loan loss provisions on growth in bank lending : some international comparisons" (with V. Bouvatier), International Economics, 132, 91-116, 2012.
• "Does uncertainty matter for loan charge-offs ? " (with F. Strobel & D.G. Dickinson), Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions & Money, 22(2), 264–277, 2012.
• "Effects of provisioning rules on bank lending : A theoretical model" (with V. Bouvatier), Journal of Financial Stability, 8(1), 25-31, 2012.
• "Ownership structure and risk in publicly held and privately owned banks" (with T. Barry & A. Tarazi), Journal of Banking and Finance, 35(5), 1327-1340, 2011.
• "Canal des provisions bancaires et cycle du marché du crédit" (with V. Bouvatier), Revue Economique, 62(1), 67-86, 2011.
• "The expansion of services in European banking : implications for loan pricing and interest margins" (with E. Nys, P. Rous & A. Tarazi), Journal of Banking and Finance, 32(11), 2325-2335, 2008.
• "Bank income structure and risk : An empirical analysis of European banks" (with E. Nys, P. Rous & A. Tarazi), Journal of Banking and Finance, 32(8), 1452-1467, 2008.
• "Banks’ procyclicality behavior : does provisioning matter ?" (with V. Bouvatier), Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions & Money, 18, 513-528, 2008.
• "How did the Asian stock markets react to bank mergers after the 1997 Asian crisis ?" (with C. Bautista & C. Crouzille), Pacific Economic Review, 13(2), 171-182, 2008.
• "Reaction of European Bank stock prices to events of the Asian and Russian Financial crises" (with C. Crouzille & A. Tarazi), Revue d’Economie Politique, 116(4), 457-469, 2006.
• "Bank stock volatility, news and asymmetric information in banking : an empirical investigation" (with C. Crouzille & A. Tarazi), Journal of Multinational Financial Management, 14(4/5), 443-461, 2004.
• "Diversification versus specialisation : an event study of M&As in the European banking industry" (with S. Patry & P. Rous), Applied Financial Economics, 14(9), 663-669, 2004.
• "Banking in France" (with C. Meslier and A. Tarazi), in The Palgrave Handbook of European Banking, (Eds) T. Beck and B. Casu, Editions Palgrave, 2016.
• "The impact of market structure and efficiency on bank profitability : an empirical analysis of banking industries in Central and Eastern Europe" (with C. Gondat-Larralde) in The new Europe : Convergence between the EU and Central and Eastern Europe , (Eds) D. Dickinson et A. Mullineux, Edward Elgar Publishing, pp 416-442, 2001.
Programme Director of the Master « Banques : Risques et Marchés » (Msc in Banking and Finance) (2004 - present)
Economics of Banking (2d year undergrad., 3rd year undergrad. and postgrad.), Financial markets (3rd year undergrad), Economics of Financial Markets (postgrad.), Economics of Information (postgrad.)
Visiting researcher, University of Birmingham (since 2002)
Administrative and other duties/Responsabilité administratives et diverses
Current position : Head of all doctoral Schools at the University (2016 -), Member of University Administration Committee (2016 -), Member of College Administration Committee (2016 -), Member of the University Scienctific Committee of Humanities and Social Sciences Research Group (2010 - present)
Past position : Vice-Chancelor Human Ressources (2012 - 2016) ; Member of University Research Committee (2008 - 2016)
PhD supervision (in Banking)/ Encadrement doctoral (en Banque)
Thierno Barry, 2010 ; Boubacar Camara, 2010 ; Caroline Roulet, 2011 ; Nadia Zedek, 2014 ; Pierre-Nicolas Rehault, 2015 ; Kevin Spinassou, 2015 ; Leo Wardhana 2016.
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions & Money, since March 2013